29 May, 2012
Lars Løkke Rasmussen is a Danish politician who served as Prime Minister of Denmark from April 2009 to October 2011. He is the leader of the centre-right liberal party, Venstre.
Rasmussen has been a member of the Danish parliament (Folketinget) since 21 September 1994. He also served as County Mayor of Frederiksborg County from 1998 to 2001. Subsequently he was the Interior and Health Minister from 27 November 2001 to 23 November 2007 as part of Anders Fogh Rasmussen's first and second Cabinets, and then Minister of Finance from 23 November 2007 to April 2009 as part of Anders Fogh Rasmussen's third Cabinet. On 5 April 2009, he succeeded Anders Fogh Rasmussen as Prime Minister following the latter's appointment as Secretary General of NATO.
In the September 2011 parliamentary election, the government lost its parliamentary majority, and on 16 September 2011, Rasmussen tendered the government's resignation to Queen Margrethe. He remained in office as head of a caretaker government until his successor, Helle Thorning-Schmidt, was appointed on 3 October 2011.
27 May, 2012
Dallas McCord "Mack" Reynolds was an American science fiction writer. His pen names included Clark Collins, Mark Mallory,Guy McCord, Dallas Ross and Maxine Reynolds. Many of his stories were published inGalaxy Magazine and Worlds of If Magazine. He was quite popular in the 1960s, but most of his work subsequently went out of print.
Reynolds was born in Corcoran, California, the eldest of three children of Verne and Pauline Reynolds; his father was the Socialist Labor Party's Vice-Presidential candidate in 1924, and its Presidential candidate on two occasions, in 1928 and 1932, and his son was in turn an active supporter of the SLP, many of his stories using SLP jargon such as 'Industrial Feudalism', and most dealing in some way with economic issues.
In 1935, while still in high school, Reynolds joined the Socialist Labor Party and became an active advocate of the party’s goals. The following year he toured the country with his father giving lectures and speeches, and became recognized as a significant force in advocating the SLP.
After graduating from high school in Kingston, New York, Reynolds worked on various newspapers in the area, progressing from reporter to editor, from 1936 to the early 1940s, in 1943 becoming a supervisor for IBM. He married Evelyn Sandell in 1937, with whom he had three children, Emil, LaVerne, and Dallas Jr. LaVerne is the only relative who remains publically listed today. She lives in Weaverville, CA with her daughter Desiree Brown and her 12 grandchildren. Other surviving relatives live in Redding, CA and Sacramento, CA.
From 1940 to 1943 Reynolds and his father toured the US as the chief team of spokesmen for the SLP. In 1944, feeling that it was his duty, Reynolds joined the US Army Transportation Corps and was stationed in the Philippines as a ship's navigator.
When he left the service and returned home, Reynolds divorced Evelyn. His first fiction sale was in 1946, to Esquire magazine. In September 1947 he remarried, to Helen Jeanette Wooley, and two years later they moved to Taos, New Mexico, where Fredric Brown, his frequent collaborator, convinced Reynolds to try his hand at writing science fiction. His first sale of a science fiction story was "The Galactic Ghost", sold to Planet Stories in 1949, although not printed until 1954. His career soon took off, resulting in a sale of 17 stories in 1950 alone.
Reynolds made his home primarily in San Miguel de Allende, in Guanajuato, Mexico, from the early 1950s to his death in San Luis Potosi, Mexico. In the 1950s, he worked as the travel editor for men's magazine Rogue and traveled all over the world, visiting and living for periods in such places as Greece, Yugoslavia, Spain, Eastern Europe, Gibraltar, and North Africa.
Several of his last books are credited as co-authored with Dean Ing. When Reynolds knew he had a brief time to live, he tried to write enough to provide an income for his wife after his death. To this end, he wrote as many novel outlines as he could, with the arrangement that Ing would finish them.
Most of Reynolds' stories took place in Utopian societies, many of which fulfilled L. L. Zamenhof's dream of Esperanto used worldwide as a universal second language. His novels predicted many things which have come to pass, including pocket computers and a worldwide computer network with information available at one's fingertips.
Many of his novels were written within the context of a highly mobile society in which few people maintained a fixed residence, leading to "mobile voting" laws which allowed someone living out of the equivalent of a motor home to vote when and where they chose.
Reynolds was also the first author to write an original novel based upon the 1966-1969 NBC television series Star Trek. The book,Mission to Horatius (1968), was aimed at young readers. In 1972, he used the name 'Maxine Reynolds' on two romantic suspense novels, House in the Kasbah and Home of the Inquisitor.
James Allen “Jim” Graham was North Carolina's longest serving agriculture commissioner.
Jim Graham’s entire life revolved around agriculture. He grew up on a cattle farm in Rowan County and graduated with a degree in agriculture from N.C. State University in 1942. He began his career as an agricultural teacher, before becoming a research station superintendent. He also held positions as a fair manager, secretary of the N.C. Hereford Association and as manager of a farmers market before being appointed agriculture commissioner in 1964. He was elected to the post nine times. He continued to operate a cattle farm in Rowan County throughout his career. He chose not to run for a 10th term in 2000 and retired from a life of public service in January 2001.
During his years as agriculture commissioner, Jim Graham secured funding for a number of outstanding programs and facilities for agriculture and consumer services. These include programs to eradicate the boll weevil in cotton, eliminate pseudo rabies, cholera and tuberculosis in hogs and provide free soil samples to all North Carolina residents. He developed a network of five state-owned farmers markets and three agricultural centers and seven animal disease diagnostic laboratories across the state. He started the “Goodness Grows in North Carolina” marketing program, expanded the N.C. State Fair and set up a program to check every gas pump, scale and price scanner in the state for accuracy.
26 May, 2012
Walter Elias "Walt" Disney was an American film producer, director, screenwriter, voice actor, animator, entrepreneur, entertainer, international icon, and philanthropist, well known for his influence in the field of entertainment during the 20th century. Along with his brother Roy O. Disney, he was co-founder of Walt Disney Productions, which later became one of the best-known motion picture producers in the world. The corporation is now known as The Walt Disney Company and had an annual revenue of approximately US$36 billion in the 2010 financial year.
Disney is particularly noted as a film producer and a popular showman, as well as an innovator in animation and theme park design. He and his staff created some of the world's most well-known fictional characters including Mickey Mouse, for whom Disney himself provided the original voice. During his lifetime he received four honorary Academy Awards and won 22 Academy Awards from a total of 59 nominations, including a record four in one year, giving him more awards and nominations than any other individual in history. Disney also won seven Emmy Awards and gave his name to the Disneyland and Walt Disney World Resort theme parks in the U.S., as well as the international resorts Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Paris, and Hong Kong Disneyland.
The year after his December 15, 1966 death from lung cancer in Burbank, California, construction began on Walt Disney World Resort in Florida. His brother Roy Disney inaugurated the Magic
From a young age, Swift had a talent for drawing and rode a freight train to California to pursue his goal of working for Walt Disney. He worked as an usher at a Hollywood theatre to pay for night classes where he studied art at Hollywood High School. Swift started work with Disney as an assistant animator under Ward Kimball in 1938 and worked his way up to becoming a writer, director and producer putting Disney on the map with "Pollyanna" followed by "The Parent Trap." This made Swift a Disney legend.
After World War II service with the 8th Air Force, Swift became a radio and television writer. He attracted acclaim as the creator of Mr. Peepers.
Swift rejoined Disney as the writer and director of Polyanna, followed by The Parent Trap. After making Love Is a Ball, Swift was then contracted to Columbia Pictures for The Interns, Under the Yum Yum Tree and Good Neighbor Sam, the latter two with Jack Lemmon. He also created the show Camp Runamuck.
Papers relating to his television writing and film career are housed at the Special Collections & University Archives at the University of Iowa.
Shortly after reuniting with actress Hayley Mills to record DVD commentaries for Pollyanna and The Parent Trap in 2001, Swift died of heart failure.
Born in Buffalo, New York to Russian immigrant parents of a Jewish decent, where he attended Lafayette High School, an architecturally significant building, Bunshaft was a modernist whose early influences included Mies van der Rohe and Le Corbusier. His best-known design is the Lever House, built as a corporate headquarters for the soap company Lever Brothers. His design for the Manufacturers Hanover Trust Branch Bank (1953), the first post-war 'transparent' bank on the east coast, is a modernist gem.
Bunshaft worked with Edward Durell Stone, worked three months for industrial designer Raymond Loewy, whom he considered a phony, and eventually became a partner in the New York office of the young firm Skidmore, Owings and Merrill.
Bunshaft's only single-family residence is the 2300 square foot (210 m²) Travertine House, built for his own family. On his death he left the house to MoMA, which sold it to Martha Stewart in 1995. Her extensive remodeling stalled amid an acrimonious planning dispute with a neighbor, and when she sold the house to textile magnate Donald Maharam in 2005 he described the house as "decrepit and largely beyond repair" and demolished it.
In the 1950s, Bunshaft was hired by the State Department's Office of Foreign Building Operations as a collaborator on the design for several U.S. consulates in Germany.
His minimalist approach extended beyond his architecture. Upon receiving the Pritzker Prize in 1988, for which he nominated himself, he gave the shortest speech of any winner in the award's history, stating:
In 1928, I entered the MIT School of Architecture and started my architectural trip. Today, 60 years later, I've been given the Pritzker Architecture Prize for which I thank the Pritzker family and the distinguished members of the selection committee for honoring me with this prestigious award. It is the capstone of my life in architecture. That's it.
Bunshaft's personal papers are held by the Department of Drawings & Archives in the Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library at Columbia University; his architectural drawings remain with SOM. He is buried next to his wife and parents in the Temple Beth El cemetery on Pine Ridge Road in Buffalo, New York.
He was a Member of the European Parliament between 1964 and 1984, for the Dutch People's Party for Freedom and Democracy, which sat as part of the Liberal Democrat group in the Parliament. Between 13 March 1973 and 10 March 1975, he served as President of the European Parliament.
Calandria was born in Canelones, Uruguay in 1902.
Upon graduating from school, he studied at the Escuela de Artes Decorativos and the Escuela Industrial with an architectural career in mind. He became so interested in sculpture, however, that he soon devoted his entire time to studies in that field.
By the time he was eighteen, Calandria had had a one-man show with ensuing honors and commissions. At this time, he also won the most important art scholarship offered in Uruguay -- a four-year period of study abroad. When it was decided that he was too young to accept this honor, he was not discouraged. He continued his studies and won the award again when he was twenty-two. He won his first gold medal and the Grand Prize at the Exposición Agropecuria e Industrial in Canelones, Uruguay.
After extensive travels in Europe, Calandria settled in Paris where he stayed for the next fourteen years, working under the guidance of Antoine Bourdelle, Charles Despiau and Marcel Gimond. He soon became Gimond's assistant at the Académie Colarassi and also held classes in his own studio. Calandria was awarded the Gold Medal at the 1937 Paris Exhibition, where several of his sculptures were on exhibit in the Uruguayan Pavilion. His work was well known and admired in the French capital by 1939, where he exhibited in many galleries, the Salon des Tuileries and Printemps, and the Exposition des Artistes Contemporains, the latter a great honor.
War was declared while Calandria was vacationing in Greece. He sailed at once for New York, spending nearly a year there and exhibiting several times. Thereafter, he went back to Uruguay and in 1941 was appointed Consul to New Orleans. He was married that same year in New York to Challis Walker and moved to the south were the Calandrias have lived ever since.
Calandria has exhibited his paintings and sculpture in North and South America and in Europe.
When he retired from Consular duties in 1958, he was then free to give all of his time to his art, which flourished both in quality and success. At about the same time, his work became increasingly abstract and remained so during his lifetime.
He taught sculpture in Paris, drawing at the Arts and Crafts Club in New Orleans during the war, and held classes in painting and sculpture for adults and children in his Pontalba studio in the French Quarter. Later, he held classes in sculpture for several years in the Calandria School of Painting and Sculpture located at Gallier Hall and, thereafter, in his Jefferson Avenue studio. He also gave lectures and demonstrations in the New Orleans area.
His exhibition at the International Trade Mart was his last large and major exhibition. Plagued with arthritis, he nevertheless continued to work on his knees, as any other position was impossible. Forced to stop sculpture, he continued to paint prolifically and was more than prepared for another large one-man show. However, in 1978, a new illness set in. Another exhibition would have been too difficult and during the last two years of his life, he stopped painting altogether. He died in 1980.
Paul C. French was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania to a Quaker family. He was a writer for The Philadelphia Record newspaper. He was married twice; first to Marie who died in 1943 and left him with two sons Paul and Peter. His second wife was Dorothy, with whom he had a son Bruce and daughter Susan. His brother Charles C. French was also a writer and a professor.
He served for a time as Smedley Butler's personal secretary in Philadelphia.
As a reporter he covered the Lindbergh kidnapping for the Philadelphia Record in 1932. It was to French, who was then writing both for the Record and the New York Post, that former General Butler in 1934 shared his allegations of a Business Plot to depose President Roosevelt.
French was initially the assistant to the first director of the Pennsylvania Writers Project (PWP), Logan B. Sisson. The project began in July 1935. French replaced Sisson within the year.
French’s term was marred by an acrimonious relationship with Henry Alsberg the national director of the Federal Writers Project and, among all the state directors, was one of the few to constantly balk at the editorial dictates of the Washington staff. In a letter dated June 23, 1939, French appealed to the executive director of Pennsylvania’s Historical Commission, Maj. Frank Melvin, for assistance in convincing Alsberg to finally publish the state’s guide. He accused the national office of being overly concerned with details, citing “the copy cannot be considered final because our margins are an inch and a quarter, instead of an inch, and our indents for paragraphs are ten rather than five spaces.” French was also unable to broker a truce between the Newspaper Guild and the Writers Union, two leftwing labor organizations with writers on the PWP staff that eventually conspired to oust French in 1939.
By the summer of 1939, shifting political winds had left the Federal Writers Project out to dry. The previous year, both the Dies Committee to Investigate Un-American Activities and the House appropriations committee attacked the Federal Writers Project for being a hotbed of Communism, accusations based mainly on the radical leanings of some writers in the project’s frenetic New York City office. Alsberg successfully defended the FWP from the trumped-up charges, but negative publicity during the hearings left a bitter aftertaste in the public’s mind.
He was the first Executive Secretary for the National Service Board for Religious Objection and served from 1940 until 1947. The National Service Board for Religious Objectors (NSBRO) was a voluntary association of religious organizations which acted as a voice for the churches and conscientious objectors to the Selective Service System in the United States in matters regarding the administration of the draft of conscientious objectors. It was created on 26 November 1940 as a merger of the short-lived National Council for Religious Objectors (NCRO) with the Civilian Service Board. The NCRO had been established on 11 October 1940 by joint action of the Mennonite Central Committee, the American Friends Service Committee, and the Brethren Service Committee.
The function of the NSBRO was to serve as the liaison between the churches and other groups having conscientious objectors to military service among their members. Although it did not administer any Civilian Public Service (CPS) projects or camps, it performed a valuable service. It was not the sole channel to the National Selective Service office for those groups who administered CPS, since they could and did on occasion deal directly with Selective Service, but it nevertheless carried most of the liaison work. For this purpose it was organized into the following sections: Camp Section, Complaint Section, and Assignment Section. The Camp Section worked in connection with the selection of sites for CPS camps; the Complaint Section helped men who were not properly classified or were denied their claim to conscientious objector status; the Assignment Section was the channel for transmitting the assignment to the proper CPS camp for the COs who were being drafted.
In 1947 French became Executive Director of CARE. CARE (originally "Cooperative for American Remittances to Europe", and later "Cooperative for Assistance and Relief Everywhere"), was founded in 1945 with the idea to secure financial backing for overseas food relief packages for a devastated Europe. The relief came in "CARE Packages", which were U.S. Army surplus 10-in-1 food parcels left over from the planned U.S. invasion of Japan. The service let Americans send the packages to friends and families in Europe. Each CARE Package cost $10 and was guaranteed to reach its addressee within four months. He in 1950 he became convinced the organization had oultived its purpose, the board of directors disagreed and French left the organization.
Brigadier Sir Robert Eric Mortimer Wheeler CH, CIE, MC, FBA, FSA was one of the best-known British archaeologists of the twentieth century.
Born in Glasgow, Scotland, he was educated at Bradford Grammar School and the University of London where he achieved an MA degree in 1912. In 1913 he won the studentship for archaeology established jointly by the University of London and the Society of Antiquaries in memory of Augustus Wollaston Franks. Sir Arthur Evans doubled the amount of money that went with the studentship, paying out of his own pocket another £100. In late autumn 1913 he began to work for the Royal Commission on Historical Monuments (England).
At the beginning of World War I he was commissioned into the Royal Artillery (Territorial Force), at first remaining in London as an instructor in the University of London Officers' Training Corps. Then he was posted to several battery commands in Scotland and England until 1917. The last part of the war he fought in France, Passchendaele, the Western Front, near Bapaume, and finally marched into Germany, commanding 'A' Battery of 76th Brigade, RFA. During July 1919 he returned from the Rhineland to London and to civilian life.
Between 1920 and 1926 he was Director of the National Museum of Wales, and from 1926 to 1944 Keeper of the London Museum. During his career he performed many major excavations within Britain, including that of Roman Verulamium (modern-day St Albans), the late Iron Age hill-fort of Maiden Castle, Dorset and Stanwick Iron Age Fortifications in Yorkshire. The excavation methods he used, for example the grid system (later developed further by Kathleen Kenyon and known as the Wheeler-Kenyon method), were significant advances in archaeological method, although later superseded. He was influenced greatly by the work of the archaeologist Lieutenant General Augustus Pitt Rivers (1827–1900). The two constant themes in his attempts to improve archaeological excavation were, first, to maintain strict stratigraphic control while excavating (for this purpose, the baulks between his trenches served to retain a record of the strata that had been dug through), and, second, to publish the excavation promptly and in a form that would tell the story of the site to the intelligent reader.
When World War II was imminent he returned from excavating a site in Normandy during August 1939 to join the Middlesex Territorial Association at Enfield. He stayed there until 1941 when his unit was transferred into the regular army forces as the 48th Light Anti-Aircraft Battery, which became a part of the 42nd Mobile Light Anti-Aircraft Regiment and went with the 8th Army to Northern Africa. There he served at the Second Battle of El Alamein. During September 1943 he commanded the 12th Anti-Aircraft Brigade during the landing of Allied Forces at Salerno, Italy, Operation Avalanche.
The next year, now 54 years old, he retired from the Army to become Director-General of the Archaeological Survey of India, exploring in detail the remains of the Indus Valley Civilization at Mohenjodaro. Soon after he returned during 1948, he was made a professor at the Institute of Archaeology, but spent part of the years 1949 and 1950 in Pakistan as Archaeological Adviser to the Government, helping to establish the Archaeological Department of Pakistan, and the National Museum of Pakistan at Karachi. He was knighted in 1952 for his services to archaeology.
In 1958 he opened the extension to the Gloucester City Museum & Art Gallery which doubled its available space.
He became known through his books and appearances on television and radio, helping to bring archaeology to a mass audience. Wheeler believed strongly that archaeology needed public support, and was assiduous in appearing on radio and television to promote it. In addition to this he collaborated with the artist and illustrator of books, Alan Sorrell, advising the artist on his archaeological reconstruction drawings. He appeared in three television series that aimed to bring archaeology to the public: 'Animal, Vegetable, Mineral' (1952–60), which was a quiz game, an archaeological variant of Twenty Questions, 'Buried Treasure' (1954–59), and 'Chronicle' (1966), and was named British 'TV Personality of the Year' in 1954. He was Secretary of the British Academy and President of the Society of Antiquaries of London.
In 1969, along with Hugh Trevor-Roper and A. J. P. Taylor, he became a member of the editorial board of Sir Winston Churchill's four volume A History of the English-Speaking Peoples.
Wheeler died in London in 1976.
Neruda became known as a poet while still a teenager. He wrote in a variety of styles including surrealist poems, historical epics, overtly political manifestos, a prose autobiography, and erotically-charged love poems such as the ones in his 1924 collection Twenty Love Poems and a Song of Despair. In 1971 Neruda won the Nobel Prize for Literature. Colombian novelist Gabriel García Márquez once called him "the greatest poet of the 20th century in any language." Neruda always wrote in green ink as it was his personal colour of hope.
On July 15, 1945, at Pacaembu Stadium in São Paulo, Brazil, he read to 100,000 people in honor of Communist revolutionary leader Luís Carlos Prestes. During his lifetime, Neruda occupied many diplomatic positions and served a stint as a senator for the Chilean Communist Party. When Chilean President González Videla outlawed communism in Chile in 1948, a warrant was issued for Neruda's arrest. Friends hid him for months in a house basement in the Chilean port of Valparaíso. Later, Neruda escaped into exile through a mountain pass near Maihue Lake into Argentina. Years later, Neruda was a close collaborator to socialist President Salvador Allende. When Neruda returned to Chile after his Nobel Prize acceptance speech, Allende invited him to read at the Estadio Nacional before 70,000 people.
Neruda was hospitalized with cancer at the time of the Chilean coup d'état led by Augusto Pinochet. Three days after being hospitalized, Neruda died of heart failure.
Joe Colombo, born Cesare Colombo was an Italian industrial designer.
Cesare "Joe" Colombo was until 1949 educated at the Accademia di Belle Arti di Brera, the academy of fine arts, in Milano as a painter and studied afterwards until 1954 Architecture at Politecnico di Milano University.
In 1951 he joined the Movimento Nucleare, founded by Sergio D´Angelo and Enrico Baj. The following four years Colombo was active as a painter and sculptor of the abstract Expressionism and exhibited his works with other members in Milano, Torino, Verviers, Venice and Brussels.
In 1955 Colombo joined the Art Concept Group, but gave up his painting to promote his Design Career. Before he cooperated at an exhibition for the tenth Triennale of 1954 and documented the Ceramic Designs of an international meeting in Albisola. For his presentation Colombo created for example three exterior seatings which were combined with a "shrinelike" presentation of TVs.
In 1959, Colombo had to take over the family company, which produced electric appliances, and started to experiment with new construction and production technologies. In 1962 Colombo opened his own interior design and architecture projects, mostly for lodges and skiing.
Colombo designed products for Oluce, Kartell, Bieffe, Alessi, Flexform and Boffi.
Colombo died in 1971 on his 41st birthday.
After completing secondary school in 1978 at the Theo-Koch-Schule in Grünberg, Hesse, Lesch studied physics at the University of Giessen, then at the University of Bonn, where he completed his doctoral degree in 1987 and worked at the Max-Planck-Institute for Radio Astronomy. From 1988 to 1991 he was a research assistant at the state observatory at Heidelberg-Königstuhl. In 1992 he was a visiting professor at the University of Toronto. In 1994 he was habilitated at the University of Bonn.
Since 1995 Lesch has been a professor of theoretical astrophysics at the Institute for Astronomy and Astrophysics at the LMU Munich. Additionally, he teaches natural philosophy at the University for Philosophy in Munich. His main areas of research are cosmic plasma physics, black holes, and neutron stars. He is the expert on astrophysics in the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (DFG) (German Research Society) and a member of the Astronomische Gesellschaft (Astronomical Society). He is also a textbook author.
Lesch has made television appearances for the longstanding, self-presented production of the channel BR-alpha: alpha-Centauri, Lesch & Co., Denker des Abendlandes (Thinkers of the Western World), and Alpha bis Omega (From Alpha to Omega). He also presented shorter television series. His presentations attempt to make complex physical or philosophical issues more accessible to the public. In 2005 he was awarded the Communicator Prize by the DFG and the Stifterverband für die Deutsche Wissenschaft (Foundation for German Scholarship) for his television appearances and publications. To honor his work on making scientific findings understandable to the broad public, the Naturforschende Gesellschaft zu Emden (nature research society) awarded him an honorary membership on March 15, 2011.
John Harold Hewitt was born in Belfast, Ireland, was the most significant Irish poet to emerge before the 1960s generation of poets that included Seamus Heaney, Derek Mahon and Michael Longley. He was appointed the first writer-in-residence at Queen's University Belfast in 1976. His collections include The Day of the Corncrake (1969) and Out of My Time: Poems 1969 to 1974 (1974). He was also made a Freeman of the City of Belfast in 1983, and was awarded honorary doctorates the University of Ulster and Queen's University Belfast.
From November 1930 to 1957, Hewitt held positions in the Belfast Museum & Art Gallery.
Hewitt was appointed Director of the Herbert Art Gallery & Museum where he worked until retirement in 1972.
Jaroslav Hašek was a Czech humorist, satirist, writer and socialist anarchist  best known for his novel The Good Soldier Švejk, an unfinished collection of farcical incidents about a soldier in World War I and a satire on the ineptitude of authority figures, which has been translated into sixty languages. He also wrote some 1,500 short stories. He was a journalist, bohemian, and practical joker.
Richard Boleslavsky was a Polish film director, actor and teacher of acting.
Richard Boleslavsky was born Bolesław Ryszard Srzednicki on February 4, 1889 in Dębowa Góra, in tsarist Russia-ruled Poland. He graduated from the Tver Cavalry Officers School. He trained as an actor at the First Studio of the Moscow Art Theatre under Konstantin Stanislavski and his assistant Leopold Sulerzhitsky, where he was introduced to the 'system'.
During World War I, Boleslavsky fought as a cavalry lieutenant on the tsarist Russian side until the fall of the Russian Empire. He left Russia after the October Revolution of 1917 for his native Poland, where he directed his first movies. As his birth name was difficult to pronounce (even for Poles), he took the name Ryszard Bolesławski. His Miracle at the Vistula (Cud nad Wisłą) was a semi-documentary about the miraculous victory of the Poles at the Vistula River over the superior Soviet Russian forces during the Polish-Soviet War of 1919-1921.
In the 1920s, he made his way to New York City, where, now known as "Richard Boleslavsky" (the English spelling of his name), he began to teach Stanislavski's 'system' (which, in the US, developed into Method acting) with fellow émigré Maria Ouspenskaya. In 1923, he founded the American Laboratory Theatre in New York. Among his students were Lee Strasberg, Stella Adler and Harold Clurman, who were all founding members of the Group Theatre (1931–1940), the first American acting ensemble to utilize Stanislavski's techniques.
Offered a contract to direct Hollywood films, Boleslavsky made several significant films with some of the major stars of the day, until his death a few weeks short of his 48th birthday, on January 17, 1937. He is interred in the Calvary Cemetery, East Los Angeles.
For his contribution to the motion picture industry, Boleslavsky has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame at 7021 Hollywood Blvd.
Sharp was born in Camberwell, London, and was educated at Uppingham, but left at 15 and was privately coached for the University of Cambridge, where he rowed in the Clare College boat and graduated B.A. in 1882.
Sharp decided to immigrate to Australia on his father's suggestion. He arrived in Adelaide in November 1882 and early in 1883 obtained a position as a clerk in the Commercial Bank of South Australia. He read some law, and in April 1884 became an associate to the chief justice, Sir Samuel James Way. He held this position until 1889 when he resigned and gave his whole time to music. He had become assistant organist at St Peter's cathedral soon after he arrived, and had been conductor of the government house choral society and the cathedral choral society. Later on he became conductor of the Adelaide Philharmonic, and in 1889 entered into partnership with I. G. Reimann as joint director of the Adelaide school of music. He was very successful as a lecturer but about the middle of 1891 the partnership was dissolved. The school was continued under Reimann, and in 1898 developed into the Elder conservatorium of music in connection with the university. Sharp had made many friends and an address with over 300 signatures asked him to continue his work at Adelaide, but he decided to return to England and arrived there in January 1892. During his stay in Adelaide he composed the music for two light operas, Sylvia, which was produced at the Theatre Royal Adelaide, on 4 December 1890, and The Jonquil. The libretto in each case was written by Guy Boothby. He also wrote the music for some nursery rhymes which were sung by the cathedral choral society.
In 1892 Sharp returned to England and on 22 August 1893 at East Clevedon, Somerset, he married Constance Dorothea Birch, also a music lover. They had three daughters and a son. Also in 1893 he was taken on as a music teacher by Ludgrove School, a preparatory school then in North London. During his seventeen years in the post, he took on a number of other musical jobs.
From 1896 Sharp was Principal of the Hampstead Conservatoire of Music, a half-time post which provided a house. In July 1905 he resigned from this post after a prolonged dispute about payment and his right to take on students for extra tuition. He had to leave the Principal's house, and apart from his position at Ludgrove his income was henceforth derived largely from lecturing and publishing on folk music.
Sharp taught and composed music. Because music pedagogy of his time originated from Germany and was entirely based on tunes from German folk music, Sharp, as a music teacher, became interested in the vocal and instrumental (dance) folk music of the British Isles, especially the tunes. He felt that speakers of English (and the other languages spoken in Britain and Ireland) ought to become acquainted with the patrimony of melodic expression that had grown up in the various regions there. Sharp became interested in traditional English dance when he saw a group of morris dancers with their concertina player William Kimber at the village of Headington Quarry, just outside of Oxford, at Christmas 1899. At this time, morris dancing was almost extinct, and the interest generated by Sharp's notations kept the tradition alive.
The revival of the morris dances started when Mary Neal, the organiser of the Esperance Girls' Club in London, used Sharp's (then unpublished) notations to teach the traditional dances to the club's members in 1905. Their enthusiasm for the dances persuaded Sharp to publish his notations in the form of his Morris Books, starting in 1907.
Between 1911 and 1913 Sharp published a three-volume work, The Sword Dances of Northern England, which described the obscure and near-extinct Rapper sword dance of Northumbria and Long Sword dance of Yorkshire. This led to the revival of both traditions in their home areas, and later elsewhere.
At a time when state-sponsored mass public schooling was in its infancy, Sharp published song books intended for use by teachers and children in the then-being-formulated music curriculum. These song books often included arrangements of songs he had collected with piano accompaniment composed by Sharp himself, arrangements intended for choral singing. Although it has been alleged that, had they heard them, traditional singers (who in England virtually always sang unaccompanied) might well have found Sharp's piano parts distracting, the arrangements with piano accompaniment did help Sharp in his goal of disseminating the sound of English folk melodies to children in schools, thus acquainting them with their national musical heritage.
The schools project also explains Sharp's bowdlerisation of some of the song texts, which, at least among English folk songs, often contained erotic double entendres, when not outright bawdy and or violent. However, Sharp did accurately note such lyrics in his field notebooks, which, given the prudery of the Victorian era could never have been openly published, thus preserving them for posterity. An example of the transformation of a formerly erotic song into one suitable for all audiences is the well-known "The Keeper."
In 1911 Sharp founded the English Folk Dance Society, which promoted the traditional dances through workshops held nationwide, and which later merged with the Folk Song Society in 1932 to form the English Folk Dance and Song Society (EFDSS). The current London headquarters of the EFDSS is named Cecil Sharp House in his honour.
Sharp's work coincided with a period of nationalism in classical music, the idea being to reinvigorate and give distinctiveness to English classical composition by grounding it in the characteristic melodic patterns and recognisable tone intervals and ornaments of its national folk music. Among the composers who took up this goal was Ralph Vaughan Williams, who carried out his own field work in folk song in Norfolk. The use of folk songs and dance melodies and motifs in classical music to inject vitality and excitement, is of course as old as "La Folia" and Marin Marais' "Bells of St. Genevieve" ("Sonnerie de Ste-Geneviève du Mont-de-Paris"), but the attempt to give music a sense of place was novel to the Historical particularism of late nineteenth century Romanticism.
During the years of the First World War, Sharp found it difficult to support himself through his customary efforts at lecturing and writing, and decided to make an extended visit to the United States. The visit, made with his collaborator Maud Karpeles during the years 1916–1918, was a great success. Large audiences came to hear Sharp lecture about folk music, and Sharp also took the opportunity to do field work on English folk songs that had survived in the more remote regions of southern Appalachia, pursuing a line of research pioneered by Olive Dame Campbell. Travelling through the mountains of Virginia, North Carolina, Kentucky, and Tennessee, Sharp and Karpeles recorded a treasure trove of folk songs, many using the pentatonic scale and many in versions quite different from those Sharp had collected in rural England. Generally, Sharp recorded the tunes, while Karpeles was responsible for the words.
Sharp was greatly struck by the dignity, courtesy, and natural grace of the people who welcomed him and Karpeles in the Appalachians, and he defended their values and their way of life in print.
Sharp's work in promoting English folk song dance traditions in the US is carried on by the Country Dance and Song Society (CDSS).
Ferdinand Marian was an Austrian theatre and film actor, best known for playing the leading character of Joseph Süß Oppenheimer in the Nazi propaganda film Jud Süß.
Born in Vienna, the son of an opera singer, Marian turned to the stage early, though he never attended any drama classes. He ran away from home and abandoned his studies as an engineer to work as an extra at several Austrian and German theatres. In 1938 he joined the ensemble of the Deutsches Theater in Berlin, where he was acclaimed for his performance as Iago in Shakespeare's Othello.
Marian had also appeared in movies like Curtis Bernhardt's Der Tunnel since 1933, and had his breakthrough starring together with Zarah Leander in 1937's La Habanera directed by Detlef Sierck. His role as Don Pedro added to his image as an adorable but devious womanizer.
Marian's career was overshadowed by his appearance as the title character in Jud Süß, a notorious antisemitic German movie directed by Veit Harlan. This 1940 film, made under the supervision of Propaganda Minister Joseph Goebbels, is widely considered to be one of the most hateful depictions of Jews in film. Several film stars had rejected the title role; Marian, urged by Goebbels and fearing consequences by the Reichsfilmkammer, did not dare to refuse.
His depiction of the title character followed Nazi propaganda stereotypes of Jews as being materialistic, immoral, cunning and untrustworthy. However, he gave a well-acted, multi-layered performance, which ultimately contributed to the film's convincibility. With the exception of Marian's character – who shaved off his beard and wore Gentile attire for most of the story – the actors playing Jewish male characters were made up to look unappealing and alien (non-German). There were also scenes that purported to show Jewish religious services.
Marian also appeared in the 1941 propaganda movie Ohm Krüger, playing Cecil Rhodes side by side with Emil Jannings and Gustaf Gründgens, who both had rejected the role of Jud Süß the year before. In 1943 he starred as Cagliostro in Josef von Báky's fantasy comedy Münchhausen.
Marian's personal life contradicted his role in the film Jud Süß. He had a daughter from his first marriage to Jewish pianist, Irene Saager. His second wife's former husband Julius Gellner was also Jewish and Marian and his wife protected him from reprisals by hiding him in their home.
Marian died in a road accident in 1946 near the village of Dürneck (today part of Freising) in Bavaria.
His initial career was in the film industry, working for MGM at Elstree Studios, where he was Assistant Director of such films as Jericho (1937) and Goodbye, Mr. Chips (1939). During the war he worked on documentary films, and then in 1955 was recruited to BBC Television by the then Head of Drama, Michael Barry. As the Head of the Script Department, Wilson was ultimately responsible for overseeing the commissioning and development of all the original scripts and adaptations transmitted by BBC Television.
When the Script Department was rendered redundant by Sydney Newman’s radical shake-up of the BBC Drama Department after his arrival as its head in 1962, the highly respected Wilson was given one of the most senior positions under Newman as Head of Serials. In this position, Wilson was responsible for overseeing the creation and development of a series that Newman himself had originally conceived; an educational science-fiction adventure serial for children entitled Doctor Who. It was Wilson, together with Newman and staff writer C. E. Webber, who co-wrote the first format document for the program.
Wilson was responsible for much of the early development work on the show, although he did strongly attempt to dissuade producer Verity Lambert from using writer Terry Nation’s script featuring a race of aliens named Daleks. However, once the script had been made and transmitted to great success, he called Lambert into his office to admit that she clearly knew the show better than he did and told her that he would no longer interfere with her decisions.
In 1965, Wilson gave up his position as Head of Serials to concentrate on realizing a long-held ambition of bringing The Forsyte Saga to the screen. Acting as both adapter and producer, Wilson created one of the BBC’s most popular and successful drama serials of all time, which was a huge hit on its eventual screening on BBC Two in 1967, and was quickly repeated on BBC One. Later, he acted as adapter and producer again on such prestigious costume dramas as The First Churchills (1969) and Anna Karenina (1977).
He went on to work for Anglia Television before retiring to his home in Gloucestershire, where he died at the age of 91 in March 2002.
He was born in Fort Worth, Texas, where he came of age studying and performing alongside fellow musicians John Carter, Ornette Coleman, King Curtis, Charles Moffett, and Dewey Redman.
Lasha moved to California during the 1950s. In the 1960s, Prince Lasha was active in the burgeoning free jazz movement, of which his Fort Worth cohort Ornette Coleman was a pioneer. Lasha worked closely with saxophonist Sonny Simmons, with whom he recorded two albums, The Cry and Firebirds, for Contemporary Records. The latter album received five stars and an AMG Albumpick at Allmusic. Lasha also appeared on recordings by Eric Dolphy (Iron Man and Conversations) and the Elvin Jones/Jimmy Garrison Sextet featuring McCoy Tyner (Illumination!).
In the 1970s, Lasha and Sonny Simmons made additional recordings under the name Firebirds. In 2005, Lasha recorded the album The Mystery of Prince Lasha with the Odean Pope Trio. Lasha died on December 12, 2008 in Oakland, California.
Born in 1940. Studied direction at the Prague Film Academy (FAMU) under Elmar Klos. In 1963 he shot his thesis film, Moravian Hellas, in Strážnice, then-Czechoslovakia, about their traditional folk celebrations. The film’s unusual approach—blending humor and intellectual aggression—caused furor and indignation as well as admiration in official cultural and political circles. It took several years for it to be allowed to be screened publicly. As a director with the Krátký Film studio in Prague in 1968, Vachek shot the film Elective Affinities a legendary portrait of the protagonists of the Prague Spring during the presidential elections of that year.
He had to leave Krátký Film with the onset of the post-1968 “normalization” process, working in manual trades until emigrating with his family in 1979 to the USA via France. Due to his wife’s bad health, he eventually returned. In the 1980s he worked as a driver. After 1989 he returned to Krátký Film and, over time, completed an extensive film tetralogy that portrays Czech society from the 1990s to the next century in his inimitable style.
Since 1994 he has taught at FAMU in the Documentary Film Department88, **becoming its head in 2002. With his films and professional stance he has influenced many younger artists. In 2004 he published a book, The Theory of Matter, which is an important conceptual milestone as regards his newest film, Záviš, the Prince of Pornofolk Under the Influence of Griffith’s In¬tolerance and Tati’s Mr. Hulot’s Holiday, or The Foundation and Doom of Czechoslovakia [1918 – 1992] . In 2008, the AMU publishing house released Karel Vachek, etc. by Martin Švoma, which can be purchased also in our e-shop.
Jos van Kemenade, originally a Catholic , was a member of the Labor Party member of parliament , minister and commissioner of the Queen . On 5 April 2002 he was appointed Minister of State . He is the son of Mary Everardus Albertus van Kemenade and Margaret Obee.
Prof. Dr. Van Kemenade was professor of educational sociology at Nijmegen, when Joop den Uyl him to The Hague in 1973 took to the education portfolio in his new form government for its expense.
Once on the government plush, Van Kemenade emerged into a true creative, but also much criticized minister. He formulated plans for the so-called Middle school and encouraged the mother secondary school and the Open University as a second-chance education.
In the period 1978-1981 he was member of parliament and group secretary, and he launched an extensive private member with respect to adult .
In 1981 he became minister again, this time in the cabinet Van Agt II . He was regarded then as the 'Crown Prince' of Joop den Uyl .
After leaving national politics, he became university administrator, mayor of Eindhoven (1988-1992) and Queen's Commissioner in England (1992-2002).
He is Minister of State . He was most recently, between 2005 and 2009, active as chairman of the Council for Public Administration . By 1 July 2009 , he succeeded as such by Jacques Wallage .
25 May, 2012
Jos Schijvens was born in Tilburg , the youngest of three children. His father Cornelis Alphonsus Schijvens worked as a wool weaver. By 1920 Cornelis Schijvens began with his wife, Christina Douw, a coffee shop / cafe on the corner of Hill and the Spoorlaan in Tilburg. Jos Schijvens went after elementary school to the Tilburg trade school and learned carpentry. In the evening he took drawing lessons. From 1925 to 1929 he studied at the Academy of Fine Arts Building on and of the Roman Catholic College in Tilburg . He followed in the study Architecture. In 1930 he received the first part of the exam for architect, the second part he has never done.
Early thirties Schijvens worked briefly for architect FJ Rampart in Bergen op Zoom . They built there include the café-restaurant, hotel later, "the Scheldt." In 1929 Schijvens already designed a double house on Hyacinth Street 13-15 in Tilburg, on behalf of his father. The houses were conducted in the style of the Amsterdam School / expressionism . His parents were living at number 15, his brother John and his family at number 13. After the death of both parents in quick succession early thirties, went Schijvens itself at number 15 living with his wife Cornelia Smulders, whom he married in 1933. He founded his own architectural office and moved to the house. Since 2002, this double house a national monument .
In 1946 died his wife Corrie. The next year Schijvens married again, this time with Anny Flower, the eldest daughter of the architect also Tilburg Ide Flower . They had two children later, a daughter and a son. Schijvens followed at that time the course Ecclesiastical Architecture in Kruithuis in 's-Hertogenbosch . He was taught by, among other Dom van der Laan . Also took Schijvens sitting in various committees of the Association of Dutch Architects (BNA), including the Architect Council. In 1960 the family moved Schijvens to a larger building at the Bredaseweg in Tilburg, where the architect again took shelter. Schijvens undertook many foreign trips, including to New York , where he found inspiration for his designs. In 1966 Schijvens died suddenly after a short stay in hospital. The architectural firm was continued by Cees Verberk, who has been Schijvens' right hand was, and architect Pontzen from Tilburg called Verberk & Pontzen.
Riiser-Larsen was born in Oslo, Norway, in 1890. In 1909, aged nineteen, he joined the Norwegian Naval Academy and in 1915 the newly formed Royal Norwegian Navy Air Service (RNoNAS). After World War I, he served as the acting head of the RNoNAS's factory until a more senior officer was appointed. In 1921, he joined the Aviation Council, then part of the Norwegian Ministry of Defence, as a secretary. This gave him the opportunity to study the fledgling military and civil aviation infrastructure for which the Council was responsible. He also became a frequent pilot on the air routes used by the new aviation companies.
Riiser-Larsen's years of polar exploration began in 1925 when his compatriot Roald Amundsen, the famed polar explorer, asked him to be his deputy and pilot for an attempt to fly over the North Pole. Riiser-Larsen agreed and secured the use of two Dornier Do J Wal seaplanes. The expedition, however, was forced to land close to the Pole, badly damaging one of the planes. After twenty-six days on an ice shelf, first trying to shovel tons of snow to create an airstrip, until someone suggested the easier way of tramping the snow surface, the expedition's six members squeezed themselves into the remaining plane. Riiser-Larsen somehow managed to coax the overloaded plane into the air and flew the expedition back to the coast of Northern Svalbard..
The following year, Riiser-Larsen rejoined Amundsen for another attempt to fly over the Pole, this time with Italian aeronautical engineer Umberto Nobile in his recently renamed airship, the Norge. Leaving Spitsbergen on 11 May 1926, the Norge completed the crossing two days later, landing near Teller, Alaska. The flight is considered by many to be the first successful flight over the North Pole, as the other claimants, Frederick Cook, Robert Peary and Richard Byrd, were unable to verify their attempts in full.
In 1928, Riiser-Larsen became involved in searching the Arctic for Nobile after he had made a successful flight to the Siberian islands and visited the North Pole once more, but crashed near the coast of the North Eastern part of Svalbard. Riiser-Larsen also became involved in a search for Amundsen, when he as passenger in a French naval flyingboat went missing while he was en route to join the search for Nobile. Eventually Nobile and most of his team were found, but Amundsen was not.
The Norvegia expeditions were a sequence of Antarctic expeditions financed by the Norwegian shipowner and whaling merchant Lars Christensen during the late 1920s and 1930s. Ostensibly their goal was scientific research and the discovery of new whaling grounds, but Christensen also requested permission from the Norwegian Foreign Office to claim for Norway any uncharted territory that was found. By the end of the second expedition, two small islands in the Southern Ocean, Bouvet Island and Peter I Island, had been annexed.
In 1929 Christensen decided to include aeroplanes in the next expedition and appointed Riiser-Larsen its leader. Riiser-Larsen then supervised and took part in mapping most of the Antarctic in this and three further expeditions. More territory was also annexed, this time the large area of the continent known as Queen Maud Land.
In 1939, the Norwegian military was downsized and Riiser-Larssen was among those officers finding themselves out of work. However, he was quickly offered a new job by the shipping company Fred. Olsen & Co. as manager of its newly formed airline, DNL. He invited some former naval pilots to join the airline and soon made it the most successful in Norway. In 1946, DNL would be one of the four Scandinavian airlines merged to create the present-day Scandinavian Airlines System (SAS).
When Nazi Germany invaded Norway in 1940, Riiser-Larsen rejoined the Royal Norwegian Navy Air Service. However, both the Norwegian Army and Royal Norwegian Navy Air Services were quickly overwhelmed by the Wehrmacht before he saw combat. Instead, he accompanied the Norwegian cabinet and military leaders into exile in London, before moving on to Toronto, Canada, to become the first commander of the Norwegian air forces' training camp, "Little Norway".
At the beginning of 1941, Riiser-Larsen returned to London to take up the post of Commander in Chief of the Naval Air Service; then of the Combined Arms Air Force; and finally, in 1944, of the fully amalgamated Royal Norwegian Air Force. By the end of the war, however, many of the pilots under his command had become critical of his leadership. He resigned, bitterly, from the Air Force in 1946.
In 1947, Riiser-Larsen again became the head of DNL, a few months before it merged with DDL, SIL and ABA to create SAS. He then became an advisor to the SAS executive and a regional manager with responsibility for transcontinental air routes. One of these routes, although established after his retirement in 1955, represented the "fulfilment of a vision" : the route to North America over the North Pole.
Riiser-Larsen died on 3 June 1965, four days before his seventy-fifth
Lew, as he was known, grew up in poverty in the East End of London. His father Mordechai (Max), a bamboo worker, died of pulmonary tuberculosis at the age of 44, when Lewis was aged just 3, in 1914.
After leaving school at the age of 11, he educated himself as much as he could by attending night classes and visiting libraries when he wasn't working as an apprentice cabinet maker. He owed much of his wide-ranging education to Toynbee Hall, a benevolent institution still active in the East End. He later went into business with his three of his brothers, producing affordable furniture with what became Austinsuite furnishings, a precursor to the flatpack furniture later adopted by M.F.I. in the U.K.
During World War II, the family business, F Austin Leyton Ltd, manufactured military aircraft including the de Havilland Mosquito. Lew Austin was production manager. On one occasion Lord Beaverbrook, the Canadian newspaper entrepreneur who was Minister of Aircraft Production in Churchill's war Ministry, visited the factory and was shown round by "Mr. Lew".
In 1944, after having previously been refused permission to leave his civilian employment, Lew Austin joined the Royal Navy Volunteer Reserve where he served first on destroyers in the Mediterranean and then in the Fleet Air Arm, ending up in a staff position at a Naval headquarters at Lee on Solent rising to the rank of Sub Lieutenant (Sub.-Lt). He was also prominent in the Fabian Society along with his older brother, the late Frank Austin O.B.E., and was effectively headhunted for a direction shift into politics, after being told by a colleague, "You are wasted here, you're needed in the Labour Party".
He joined the party, and in Labour's landslide victory at the 1945 general election he was elected as Member of Parliament (MP) for the Stretford constituency in Manchester, defeating the sitting Conservative MP, Ralph Etherton. He held his seat until the 1950 election, when he was beaten by the Conservative candidate Samuel Storey.
Born to an immigrant family originating from a rabbinic dynasty in the former Austro-Hungarian Empire, now the Ukraine, he was an ardent humanist. When campaigning for the seat he eventually won, late in 1945 when the ashes of World War II were still glowing, he was asked by a heckler at a political rally "what is the candidate's religion?". He replied "I have no religion; I am a free thinker. But I am a Jew and a carpenter and the son of a capenter but unlike another son of a capenter two thousand years ago I don't expect to be crucified for my beliefs."
During his time in Parliament Lewis Austin was one of a dozen or so Jewish Members during the period when the British Mandate of Palestine ended and the state of Israel was born. He and his Jewish colleagues fought many battles in the party room over British policy on the Palestine issue. Austin, who regarded the Foreign Secretary Ernest Bevin as an antimsemite, once challenged Bevin to 'come outside' the party room. Austin had been a keen amateur boxer as a young man. He later told family members that Bevin had suggested "we can leave it to the Arabs to kick the bloody Jews into the sea".
At that time Austin published a circular entitled "the importance of being Ernest (Bevin)" which attacked Bevin and his policies roundly, and as result faced discipline from Transport House, headquarters of the Labour Party.
Austin gained something of a reputation as a leftwing firebrand while in Parliament, and some years later was detained on Ellis Island by US immigration for a number of days on suspicion of being a communist, at the height of the McCarthyist movement in the USA.
After his brief stint in politics, he moved with his wife and young family to Jamaica for a number of years, living in Montego Bay. It was there he took time out to reflect on his next career move. He later returned to the U.K., bring his family to the Hove area, near Brighton in Sussex. He then worked for a four to six month stint as a door-to-door salesman of the Encyclopædia Britannica. He was discouraged from carrying this on by his wife, the late Irene Austin, later Dame Irene Murray, of the Knights of Saint John, Malta. He then set up his own business in dealing with Stocks and Shares, acting as a licensed dealer until his untimely death in April 1974, not long after the Black Monday stock market crash of Spring 1974.
Alfred Cheetham was a member of several Antarctic expeditions. He served as third officer for both the Nimrod and Imperial Trans-Antarctic expeditions. He died at sea when his ship was torpedoed during World War I.
Alfred Buchanan Cheetham was born in Liverpool, England to John and Annie Elizabeth Cheetham. His family moved to Hull sometime during his youth (possibly around 1877), and he went to sea as a teenager, working on the fishing fleets of the North Sea and farther afield. He married Eliza Sawyer and they had 13 children together. Cheetham worked from his base in Hull as a merchant navy boatswain and a reservist for the Royal Navy.
During the Discovery Expedition of 1901–1904 Cheetham made his first visit to the Antarctic when served on the relief ship Morning. He returned with the Terra Nova Expedition, Robert Falcon Scott's ill-fated attempt to be the first to reach the South Pole. He served as boatswain aboard the Terra Nova and although he volunteered for the search party that was to look for Scott's party he was turned down as he was a family man.
He travelled to the Antarctic again, this time under the command of Ernest Shackleton, on the Nimrod Expedition where he was third officer and boatswain. By the time of the Imperial Trans-Antarctic Expedition in 1914, the 47-year-old Cheetham was the crew member with most experience of the Antarctic, having spent almost six years in the seas around the continent
He was Third Officer on board the Endurance and was a popular and cheerful member of the crew. Frank Worsley refers to him as "a pirate to his fingertips". After Endurance was crushed in pack ice and the men set up for Elephant Island in the three lifeboats, he was part of Worsley's crew in the Dudley Docker. Worsley mentions that matches had become such precious currency that Cheetham bought a single match from him for the price of a bottle of champagne, to be paid when Cheetham opened his pub in Hull after the war. Cheetham's death in 1918 meant the debt was never paid. For his efforts during the expedition Cheetham was awarded the Silver Polar Medal.
Cheetham returned to Hull after the expedition where he learnt that one of his sons, William Alfred, had been lost at sea while Cheetham had been travelling back from Antarctica. His son, who was 16 years old, was presumed drowned while serving on the S.S. Adriatic. Cheetham enlisted in the Mercantile Marine and was serving as Second Officer on the S.S. Prunelle (London) when on 22 August 1918, he was killed when the ship was torpedoed in the North Sea by a German U-boat.
Angel Crespo Perez de Madrid poet , essayist, translator and art critic Spanish .
Born in Ciudad Real , the July 18, 1926, within a family of medium landowners. Until the outbreak of the Civil War between the capital and live Alcolea de Calatrava where the mother-Maria de los Angeles Perez-Madrid and Céspedes has farms. His father, Angel Crespo Crespo, an official of Telegraphs. The connection with nature will make your life and be noticed in his work. The three years of the war going on in Ciudad Real, not attending school and receiving lessons at home. A friend's parent who is a professor of French and has taken refuge in his house, he teaches French. Lee JH Fabre on the lives of animals.
After the war Baccalaureate studies undertaken between readings Salgari , Verne and Rice Burroughs . Read the Castilian and Latin classics and among his favorite authors are Rubén Darío , Berceo , Espronceda and the Duke of Rivas . Start writing poetry and published in media in the province. Results in triplets chained fragments of the Georgics of Virgil . His uncle Pascual Crespo gives Spanish Poetry Anthology 1915-1931 and is attracted by surrealism and creationism. After completing his secondary education, in 1943, went to Madrid to study law as his father wished, instead of Arts as he wanted it. In Madrid, discover the Postismo in its first Manifesto was published in 1945, and comes to terms with its founders Chicharro Eduardo , Carlos Edmundo de Ory and Silvano Sernesi . In Postismo is a renewal in relation to poetry being written in Spain at the moment, polarized by Garcilaso and alarmist groups, and adheres to it. Isms studied, reads Dante and modern French and Italian poets, is interested in esotericism. Start writing art criticism.
In 1948, working with Ory, organizes the exhibition 16 Artists of Today in the Bucholz Gallery in Madrid. After completing a law degree in 1949, spends six months in Tetouan to complete military service. It is his first visit outside Spain, which deemed essential to its formation. Returning to Spain, took refuge in Alcolea to prepare examinations for Notaries and is dedicated to writing poetry. The book will consider the first of his own voice, a language emerges, then writes and publishes in 1950. It is the first book of what has been called his magical realism. In 1950, back in Madrid, started working as an attorney and is involved with increasing intensity in the cultural life of Madrid. In the same year, Alejandro Carriedo Gabino and Frederick Wheeler founded and co-directs the poetry magazine Straw Bird (1950-1954) and himself, in 1951, founded and directed the magazine Deucalion (1951-1953), sponsored by the Provincial de Ciudad Real. Throughout the decade of the 50 continues with the art critic and published seven books of poetry are the stage of magical realism. He was invited to Poetry Salamanca Congress (July 1953) and became a leading figure in the renewal of the Spanish culture of the postwar period. In 1956 he married Maria Luisa Madrilley, who is separated years later. Make your first trip to Portugal. In 1957 his son Aiden was born. That same year he began to publish his translations of Fernando Pessoa with a selection of Poems of Alberto Caeiro . During the 60's, Ángel Crespo, who is involved in the clandestine struggle against the dictatorship, is concerned with the realism and writes a poetry of intent compromised, while rejecting Marxist aesthetics. To promote his views founded and directs, with Alejandro Carriedo Gabino, the magazine Poetry of Spain (1960-1963), where he published the poets whose conception of realism is more in line. In 1962 he founded and directed the Brazilian Culture Magazine, sponsored by the Brazilian Embassy in Madrid, which will continue to run until 1970 and it will meet the burgeoning Spanish readers disseminate Brazilian culture and its leading positions, including concrete poetry. In 1961 Pilar Gomez knows Bedate, whom he married years later.
In 1963 he traveled to Italy for the first time with her, and the experience of this trip, which will largely determine influence in his poetry, encouraged him to leave his law practice and begin a new life away from harassment by police Franco and the rift with his party colleagues. In 1966 published Dozen Florentine book that remains committed point of view but uses a decidedly modern language and full of cultural references. In 1967 he accepted the invitation of the University of Puerto Rico to teach in the Humanities Department, and will move to this country with his new partner, also invited by the University to teach in the Comparative Literature program. In 1988 he returned permanently to Spain and settled in Barcelona, where he will be visiting professor at the Central and the Autonomous University, and finally appointed Professor Emeritus at the University Pompeu Fabra. He died in this city in 1995. During the years of Barcelona alternate life in this city with long periods in Calaceite, Teruel where people revive contacts with the nature of their origins and where he will write a poem that reflects this relationship. He is buried in the cemetery of Calaceite.
Karl Ludwig Grünne, only son of Ferdinand Philip Grünne occurred in 1828, the Lancers of his father. In 1838 he was promoted to Major in 1843 to colonel and chief of the court at the same time, Archduke Stephan . 1847 appointed Imperial real Privy Council, took place in August 1848, the appeal to the High Steward, the former Archduke and later Emperor Franz Joseph I on 19 October 1848 he became a Major General, on 2 December 1848 for the first Adjutant General of the now emperor appointed his military office, he became head of that day. In this position Grünne on 12 July 1850 to Lieutenant promoted.
After the defeat of Austria in the Sardinian War , 1859, the discontent of the population and the army set up specially to Grünne, which is representative for the army and the people prevailing esprit de corps that the major changes was not to blame for the outcome of the war there.
With handwritten letter dated 20 October 1859 the Emperor dismissed him from his post as the first Adjutant General in His mercy, ordered him to uno actu Oberststallmeister and awarded him the Grand Cross of the Order of St. Stephen's from. Grünne retained at the request of the Emperor Capitänstelle the Life Guards gendarmerie .
On 22 November 1864 Grünne Graf became the general of the cavalry moved on 23 August 1865 the owner of the No. 1 Lancers .
The office of constable held Grünne colonel, whose health had been attacked in those days, significantly, by 3 November 1875. In retirement he lived (during the summer months) in Baden, near Vienna, in complete seclusion.
From 1883 he was a member of the House of Lords , the upper house of the Austrian Imperial Council , but had to stay away from with regard to his physical condition, many meetings.
Count Grünne was a favorite of Archduchess Sophie was, with strong influence on the young Franz Joseph . The continued recognition by the Griinne bronze house showed, among other things, that both Emperor Franz Joseph I. as well as Crown Prince Rudolf , accompanied by his wife, Stephanie, the patients in each case a house visited them.
After confirmation of the Imperial Court Church (Church of Our Lady, Mary the Glorious) in Baden, near Vienna, the body count was Griinne after Dobersberg transferred, where on 19 June 1884 in the family tomb, the burial took place.
Bert Duijker was born an only child, son of a religious teacher and went first to the Reformed school in Amsterdam and then to study philosophy at the Municipal University in his much admired HJ Pos . As a minor he did psychology at the then only professor in that discipline, G. Revesz . In 1937 he did his master's degree and was assistant Revesz. In 1946 he was promoted on the topic Language and psychological reality. Extralingual elements in the speech, he was first appointed as curator of the Psychological Laboratory in 1950 and to full professor in experimental psychology. After saying goodbye to Revesz, he became director of the Psychological Laboratory for many years was housed in the two canal houses on the Keizersgracht, which now - after an internal renovation - the photography museum FOAM is located. Duijker remained except the psychology originally the philosophy of faith, especially the phenomenology of Husserl and Merleau-Ponty. Generations of students followed are not readily understandable lectures about the Oudemanhuispoort . In later years he confined himself in his lectures more and more to social psychology. When Duijker in 1981 as a retired professor, was the psychological lab already moved to the Weesperplein, but not to the current location on the Roetersstraat. Duijker was a member of the Royal Dutch Academy of Sciences. During twenty years in his honor called "Duijker lectures" held.
AffiliationsDuijker addition to his professorship numerous positions, including chairmanship of the Dutch Institute of Psychologists of the editorial board of the Dutch Journal for the Psychology of the book series Psychological Monographs and of the Council for guidance. He was honorary member of the Association de Psychologie Scientifique de Langue Française and vice chairman of the Executive Committee of the International Union of Scientific Psychology.
Sven Inge was born in Umeå in 1935 and grew up in a small village in Västerbotten in northern Sweden. From early age, he was interested in drawing and became involved in experimental art after moving to Sundsvall, and later to Stockholm by the early 1960s. At the end of the 1960s, he gained notability co-producing, together with Ture Sjölander and Lars Weck, the experimental video performances Monument (1968) and Space in the Brain (1969), both made for Swedish Television. In addition to video performances, he worked with static images of science fiction and space travel, as well as a number of monumental paintings. In 1972, Inge created the photographic work Glesbygdare, and in 1973 Kronotorpare. Later, Inge worked with computerized holographic art, notably The Expanded Cube, which was performed at art galleries in the United States, Japan, and Taiwan. In the 1970s, he also worked with laser installations. As of the late 1970s, Sven Inge focused more on paintings, as well as a number of transparent three dimensional images on acryl glass.
Burl Icle Ivanhoe Ives was an American actor, writer and folk music singer. As an actor, Ives's work included comedies, dramas, and voice work in theater, television, and motion pictures.
Ives was a renowned pipe smoker; the cover of his first album depicted a pipe and a fishing hat with the words "Burl Ives" in between. He also smoked cigars. In the summer of 1994 he was diagnosed with oral cancer after being hospitalized for back surgery. After several operations he decided against having further surgery. In April 1995 he fell into a coma. Ives died of complications of mouth cancer on April 14, 1995 at his home in Anacortes, Washington; he is interred in Mound Cemetery in Hunt City Township, Jasper County, Illinois.
Lew Tabackin is a jazz flautist and a tenor saxophonist. He is married to Toshiko Akiyoshi, who is a jazz pianist and a composer/arranger.
Tabackin studied flute at the Philadelphia Conservatory of Music and also studied music with composer Vincent Persichetti. In 1962 he graduated from the Conservatory and, after a stint with the U.S. Army, worked with Tal Farlow. He also worked in a combo that included Elvin Jones, Donald Byrd, and Roland Hanna. Later he would have a chair in The Dick Cavett Show's band.
He formed a quartet with Toshiko Akiyoshi in the late 1960s, and in 1973 co-founded the Toshiko Akiyoshi – Lew Tabackin Big Band which later became the Toshiko Akiyoshi Jazz Orchestra featuring Lew Tabackin, playing bebop in Duke Ellington-influenced arrangements and compositions by Akiyoshi. Tabackin was principal soloist for the big band/orchestra from 1973 through 2003.
Thomas Hart Benton was an American painter and muralist. Along with Grant Wood and John Steuart Curry, he was at the forefront of the Regionalist art movement. His fluid, almost sculpted paintings showed everyday scenes of life in the United States.
Tapio Wirkkala (2 June 1915, Hanko – 19 May 1985) was a Finnish designer and sculptor, a major figure of post-war design. His work ranges from plastic ketchup bottles and metalware to glass, ceramics and plywood in a range of styles. He designed the Finnish markka banknotes introduced in 1955. His range was immense, designing glassware, stoneware, jewelry, and furniture for mass production, as well as individual sculptures in several media.
Among his most famous works have been the design for the Finlandia vodka bottle (1970-2000) and for Iittala's Ultima Thule set of kitchen glasses. Both glassware items feature a dripping icicle look, and in the case of Iittala's popular glassware set it took thousands of hours to develop a glassblowing technique that would produce the effect.
Wirkkala did much of his initial design work using a traditional Finnish carving knife, the puukko. Wirkkala designed his own version of the knife. The Tapio Wirkkala Puukko was built by Hackman Cutlery and marketed by Brookstone in the US in the early 70's.