25 May, 2012

Jos Schijvens



Josephus Aloysius Cornelis (Jos) Schijvens ( Tilburg , 12 May 1908 - there, 18 July 1966 ) was a Dutch architect .


Jos Schijvens was born in Tilburg , the youngest of three children. His father Cornelis Alphonsus Schijvens worked as a wool weaver. By 1920 Cornelis Schijvens began with his wife, Christina Douw, a coffee shop / cafe on the corner of Hill and the Spoorlaan in Tilburg. Jos Schijvens went after elementary school to the Tilburg trade school and learned carpentry. In the evening he took drawing lessons. From 1925 to 1929 he studied at the Academy of Fine Arts Building on and of the Roman Catholic College in Tilburg . He followed in the study Architecture. In 1930 he received the first part of the exam for architect, the second part he has never done.

Early thirties Schijvens worked briefly for architect FJ Rampart in Bergen op Zoom . They built there include the café-restaurant, hotel later, "the Scheldt." In 1929 Schijvens already designed a double house on Hyacinth Street 13-15 in Tilburg, on behalf of his father. The houses were conducted in the style of the Amsterdam School / expressionism . His parents were living at number 15, his brother John and his family at number 13. After the death of both parents in quick succession early thirties, went Schijvens itself at number 15 living with his wife Cornelia Smulders, whom he married in 1933. He founded his own architectural office and moved to the house. Since 2002, this double house a national monument .

In 1946 died his wife Corrie. The next year Schijvens married again, this time with Anny Flower, the eldest daughter of the architect also Tilburg Ide Flower . They had two children later, a daughter and a son. Schijvens followed at that time the course Ecclesiastical Architecture in Kruithuis in 's-Hertogenbosch . He was taught by, among other Dom van der Laan . Also took Schijvens sitting in various committees of the Association of Dutch Architects (BNA), including the Architect Council. In 1960 the family moved Schijvens to a larger building at the Bredaseweg in Tilburg, where the architect again took shelter. Schijvens undertook many foreign trips, including to New York , where he found inspiration for his designs. In 1966 Schijvens died suddenly after a short stay in hospital. The architectural firm was continued by Cees Verberk, who has been Schijvens' right hand was, and architect Pontzen from Tilburg called Verberk & Pontzen.

No comments: